7 Healthy Snacks for Cats in the Summer
The arrival of summer means that it’s time to get excited about all of your favorite warm-weather recipes that are delicious and nutritious. The possibilities are endless, from fruit salad to seasonal smoothies and zucchini bread fresh from the garden.
While you’re beating the heat with your favorite summer treats, your cat may be feeling left out. Cats feel the effects of hot summer weather just like we do. If Mr. Whiskers is camped out on the kitchen counter and staring you down, it may be your sign to invite him in on the summer snacks.
Healthy food for cats doesn’t have to be difficult to prepare or require a long list of expensive ingredients. You’d be surprised by how many healthy snacks for cats are already in your fridge or pantry.
Here are seven healthy snacks for cats that are perfect for the summer season and simple to prepare or put together. Try one (or more) so that both you and your cat can make the most of the warmer weather this year.
Refreshing Summer Fruits
It’s always a good idea to take advantage of seasonal fruit and vegetable offerings when you want to make the most of a particular time of year, and summer is no exception. When summertime rolls around, a wide variety of refreshing summer fruits are in season and taste even better than they do during any other time of year. Here are some fruits that you can use as healthy foods for cats this summer season:
- Watermelon — Watermelon is a classic summer treat. Whether you pick up a fresh melon from a local farmstand or let someone else take care of the preparation and buy a pack of premade watermelon chunks, this fruit is enjoyable for both humans and felines alike. A small amount of watermelon is a great healthy snack for cats. Some tips to keep in mind when feeding this natural treat include making sure the pieces aren’t too big and being sure to remove the seeds before offering this snack to your cat.
- Strawberries — A great way to celebrate the beginning of the summer season is to take a trip to a strawberry patch to pick a quart or two of this beautiful red berry. Alternatively, grab a freshly-picked container at a nearby farm or local produce section. To make strawberries a healthy food for cats, thoroughly wash the fruit, remove the green leaves from the top of the berry and chop up the fruit so it’s not too large for your cat to enjoy.
- Blueberries — While strawberry season kicks off the start of summer, blueberries are around for most of the summer months, from June to August. They also make great healthy snacks for cats. Blueberries aren’t just tasty. They are also packed with essential nutrients like antioxidants, flavonoids and vitamins A, E, C and K. Blueberries are an excellent source of fiber. To prepare this healthy food for cats, slice the blueberries in halves or quarters before presenting them to your furry friend.
Nothing takes a glass of iced tea or lemonade to the next level in the summertime like a healthy heaping of ice cubes. When you’re looking for healthy options for your feline friend to snack on in the summer, ice cubes by themselves are a perfect choice.
They can help your cat cool down from the hot weather and support optimal hydration levels when it matters most.
Even better, ice cubes can make playtime with your cat more enjoyable. There are only so many games you can play with a piece of string before you and your cat get bored. Your cat will enjoy nudging the ice cube back and forth across the floor. To add a festive flair to this healthy cat snack, consider using a uniquely shaped ice cube tray that captures the vibes of the summer season. Pineapple or seashell-shaped ice cubes are both cute and refreshing. Or, place a piece of your cat’s food in the middle of each ice cube before freezing to serve as an extra reward.
If you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, all you need to do is pour some water into a tray to prepare these healthy snacks for cats. After all, there are far more important and exciting activities to dedicate your time to in the warmer weather, such as taking a hike with your cat or enjoying a beach getaway at a feline-friendly resort.
Simple Homemade Healthy Snacks for Cats
If you enjoy cooking, there are plenty of healthy snacks for cats you can make on your own. Trying out a new recipe is an excellent way to use any extra free time you might have in the summer months. Your cat is sure to perch on top of the refrigerator to judge your culinary skills, so it’s a great bonding activity for the two of you. Here are some simple healthy snacks for cats that you can put together with a few ingredients in your kitchen:
- Frozen Yogurt — You can create frozen yogurt treats for your cat with just two ingredients. Simply empty a package of Greek yogurt and the contents of one can of your cat’s favorite wet food into a blender or food processor. Once the ingredients are finished mixing and are well incorporated, empty the blender mixture into a disposable plastic bag. Use a pair of scissors to cut the corner of the bag to create a makeshift piping bag. Then, pipe small circles of the yogurt mix onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer until the yogurt drops are solidified. Voila! Instant yogurt bites your kitty will love.
- Gelatin Delights — To successfully make these healthy snacks for cats, you need a cup of chicken broth with little or no salt added and two envelopes of flavor-free gelatin (and not regular human Jello, which is filled with artificial ingredients). Heat the chicken broth on the stove until it boils, and then remove the pot from heat for around three minutes to cool down. Dump the gelatin packets into the pot and whisk until smooth. After the gelatin mix reaches room temperature, pour it into the mold or ice cube tray of your choice and place it in the fridge until it is finished setting. This cat-friendly version of Jello is sure to be a hit!
- Tuna Cube Treats — This recipe features the feline-favorite ingredient: tuna. To get started with these healthy snacks for cats, choose canned tuna that has been stored in water instead of oil (avoid options with added salt). Empty the tuna can into a blender or food processor and add ½ cup of water. You can add more water as you blend until you reach a texture that is free of any lumps. Once the mixture is blended, use it to fill an ice cube tray. After at least two hours in the freezer, these tuna cube treats should be frozen and refreshing enough for your cat to enjoy.
Boost Your Cat’s Digestive Health with Skoon Probiotics
Browsing different options for healthy snacks for cats is a great first step toward ensuring your cat’s diet gets the nutritious refresh it needs this summer season. Add Skoon Probiotics to your cat’s dietary routine to make your efforts even more effective. Skoon Probiotics help make your cat’s digestive system stronger. They can also help when your cat suffers from uncomfortable symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting.
Probiotics from Skoon will benefit your cat’s immune system.
Choose Skoon Probiotics to give your cat’s digestive and immune health a boost this summer!